Sunday, August 23, 2009

almost only ever really counts in horseshoes & handgrenades

not letting it go.
new album. new tour. a long time since the last time.
already ive had it out with dorian about the shittiness of our tickets to the upcoming show, and now it seems like i might not even get to go.

Missing out isn’t really the same when you have a favorite band. For example, modest mouse played here recently and I wasn’t able to go. I got over it. I mean, they’re only my number four favorite band anyway and I have seen them live before at least once... you couldn’t keep me out of there if I had any money but im broke as shit so, life goes on.

The pixies are playing next month. That stings. The pixies are my number 3 favorite band. But I console myself that I have seen them 3 times before, a lot when you consider that in 1994 I thought I would never get the chance. But, going to see the pixies costs money and, as it is, I cant even afford the service fee.

But what were talking about there is #3 and #4. And perhaps that isn’t even correct. It might be more accurate to call the pixies and modest mouse my #5 and #6 favorite bands because green day would be #1 and #2, and Foxboro hot tubs would be #3 and my mystery other favorite band (the foo fighters) would provide the needed buffer between billie joe and all others.

I don’t know if very many people have a #1 favorite band. Or if they have a #1 favoite band that could reasonably be counted as 3 bands in a 1-5 band love scale… and if they do I wonder if they have the tattoos to back that up. And then I wonder if they have more than one. What im trying to say is, its not as though I just like green day or even just love green day… green day is MY band. Which is not to say that I own them but more like saying they own me. that’s my band. Their music has reached so far into so much of me that I cant separate it from, say, fond childhood memories or creepy emotional scars…

Ive seen them live maybe 15 times. It doesn’t lessen the blow of missing them on the 21st century breakdown tour. Not at all. In fact, it makes it worse. I feel like im getting robbed of something I deserve… the chance to see my band play songs I havent heard live before. The chance to speculate if they will play my favorite song from the new album, unlikely since I always love the ones that don’t make it on the radio, but I still get that burn of excitement that they MIGHT play restless heart syndrome or horseshoes and handgrenades.
it stings because i wont get to see it to know for sure. and even more because.... everyone else will! im not one of those people who want other people to experience the joys they miss out on. i want everyone to miss out on what i miss out on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home